Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lentil Meatballs?

I had gotten this idea for lentil meatballs from the internet of course.
Most of my inspiration comes from the internet and then I simply run with it.
I like a lentil loaf instead of meatloaf so why not have lentil meatballs!

Into the food processor:
1 cup cooked lentils*
2 sprigs of fresh parsley*
3 cloves of garlic*
1 scoop ground flaxseed
1/4 cup oatmeal* (maybe a little less)
3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp white miso
a sprinkle of dried: roasted red pepper flakes, thyme, basil*, rosemary*
1 half a sprinkle of dried: paprika, cumin
1 dissolved vegan bullion cube into 2-3 tbsp hot water.

  • I cooked 1 cup of french green lentils and then used about 1 cup of the cooked product. I used the other cooked cup for another recipe but if I were just using them for this recipe I would have started seasoning them while they were cooking. Next time maybe...
  • I added the bullion water last through the chute once everything else is fairly processed.
  • The spices I used were simply because they seemed "italian" to me. I would suggest adding something spicy like the red pepper flakes though because the lentils can totally absorb some of the heat once you bite into it.

Then form into 1" balls. I don't think this recipe would work too well with larger faux meatballs because you do want that crunchy exterior, well I wanted it I should say.

Place them on a cookie sheet covered in foil and then drizzle with oil and spin the little lentil-nuggets around to get them all shiny.

Bake at 350 degrees until the bottom side gets brown, maybe 20 min. Then flip and let the other side get brown. I did that 4 times until all the sides were browned. At this point they do kind of feel like nuggets, brown and crunchy and delicious on the outside but moist and soft on the inside.

I ate two to make sure of this for you.

I am going to serve mine with sprouted spaghetti, tomato sauce, and fresh spinach. I might do a "raw" tomato sauce, any suggestions?

* means I used Organic for this ingredient.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment