Saturday, January 21, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

The other day I went to a restaurant. The menu item that I remember loving as a vegetarian wasn't vegan and I was confused as to why. What I wanted to order was the Butternut Squash Soup. Why would butternut squash soup have dairy in it? I ordered something else and moved on with my life, except I didn't! I kept thinking about it... "Why does a vegetable soup need animal product to make it taste yummy?" Then I got kind of angry, "I bet it doesn't need animal product to taste yummy stupid celebrity chef, I will recreate your soup even better than yours!"

So... In my anger I was off to re-create a animal product free butternut squash soup.

1. Roast a butternut squash and a sweet potato
2. Cook some onions in olive oil
3. Add some vegetable stock to the onions
4. Put the pieces of roasted vegetable in the stock and cook until very soft
5. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth
6. Sprinkle in some salt, pepper, sriracha (just a little), and maybe some garlic powder.
7. Taste, I taste a lot when i am cooking. Then go crazy and sprinkle in a little dried rosemary.
8. Blend one last time.
9. Pour into bowls.
10. Top with the little swirl of sriracha and a swirl of cashew cream.


Cashew Cream:
Blend 1 part water, to 1.5 parts cashews, and little salt together and it forms a white creme fraiche looking thing.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment