Friday, February 10, 2012

Sweet Potato Chipotle Cakes

I was looking on Pinterest.
I've been looking on there for inspiration recipes to vegan-ize.

Look at this beautiful photo I saw for sweet potato cakes with sour cream and chipotle black bean salsa. I knew I had to attempt it!


I knew that I'd have to make a vegan version of sour cream.

Sour Cream:
splash of Lemon Juice
maybe a cup Soaked Cashews
some salt
water to texture

Combine the ingredients in a food processor and add the water until your "sour cream" is a texture that you like. In the past I've also used lemon and lime juice to have some depth of flavor.

Sweet Potato Cakes:
2 sweet potatoes
3 green onions
whole wheat flour
salt and pepper
canola oil


Peel and quarter the sweet potatoes. Boil them until very tender and let dry in a colander. You've got to wait to do anything else until they are very dry. I used my hands to mash them in a bowl. Add the flour until the potatoes are sticky but not wet. You need to be able to form them into patties. Add the green onions, salt, and pepper. Form them into patties on a foil lined baking sheet and lightly spread canola oil on the top of the patties. Bake at 450 degrees until the bottom is firm and golden, then flip. It took me about 15 min per side.


Chipotle Bean Salsa:
You could totally make this at home, I did not this time. I used a jar of salsa.

Then you assemble!

It's not as hard as it looks in the end, but you can see mine isn't quite as beautiful as my inspiration photo but maybe next time! They tasted so good, I'll definitely be making them again. I'll update you all about how they get more beautiful in my kitchen.


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment