Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Japanese Feast


Chris and I really really love making sushi at home. It's not as difficult as it sounds and once you get the hang of the rolling, you can get super creative! Our favorite creation this last time was our "green roll" which was cucumber, avocado, and wasabi. We sometimes use rice and sometimes we don't.

Chris is our expert sushi roller so I do all the prep cooking like cutting up vegetables. This last time I decided to make it a full meal and make miso soup and seaweed salad! Talk about a Japanese Feast!

Seaweed Salad:

Soak the dried wakame in cold water according to the package and then rinse throughly. I didn't really dry mine but I think next time I might give it a spin in the salad spinner to dry it slightly.

Whisk up some dressing: Sesame Oil, Tamari, Ginger, and Agave. You could add rice vinegar or mirin if you wanted. It's pretty flexible.

I added some chopped roasted red pepper and sesame seeds.

Combine it all together and let it sit while you make the rest of the items, the longer it sits the more flavorful it will be.


Miso Soup:

I didn't have any stock so I mixed water with a vegan bouillon. You could of course use stock.
Bring it to a simmer.

Add 3 peeled carrots sliced on a diagonal and simmer 5-10 min. Add 3-4 tbsp Wakame and 3 green onions sliced on a diagonal.
Chop about 1/4 block of firm tofu into cubes and add to the stock pot.

Spoon out some of the hot broth and put into a bowl. Add 3-4 tbsp white miso to the small bowl with the broth and stir until the miso is melted. You don't want the miso to ever get to a boil. Once you add the miso back into the pot keep the heat on low so it's warm but not simmering.


Here is our pretty table setting with our soup and salad! I was so proud of my contribution!

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment