Friday, February 3, 2012

BLT with Broccoli Slaw


Lunches are the hardest meals for me. I can't count on being about to heat it up and it has to fit into my husband's bag that he uses when he bikes to work, which means, it has to be mostly squish proof!

I had purchased this tempeh bacon. It was calling out my name at the grocery store. I had trouble using it to create a meal. Until I remembered my all time favorite sandwich as an omnivore: the BLT.

I cooked the bacon the night before and then in the morning all you have to do is assemble!

I used organic cherry tomatoes cut in half because it's what I have, the middle of winter isn't a great time to be buying amazing tomatoes.

I used organic romaine. I also played around with using the lettuce instead of bread, it was really delicious but I still ended up making my sandwich "open faced" with only bread at the bottom. Here is my blt "roll-up".


The bread I used is French Meadow Bakery's Summer Bread. I'm normally an Ezekiel 4:9 bread lover but I'm realizing my husband hates it more than he had previously let on, oh the things you'll do for love like eat healthy bread you secretly hate. I thought this white-r bread might be a compromise. (ps- I think he still noticed it's made with wheat flour)

It also has a smear of vegan mayo on there just to make it perfect!


I served my Tempeh Bacon Lettuce Tomato Sandwiches with a homemade Broccoli Slaw.
You can buy bagged broccoli slaw from the supermarket but it's just as easy to make at home.

I fitted the food processor with the shredding blade. Then feed though carrots, red cabbage, and the stem parts of the broccoli. The ratio of the three is up to you, I used about 20 baby carrots, 4 stems of broccoli, and just enough red cabbage. How's that for exact measurements!

For the dressing I used vegan mayo, agave nectar, salt, pepper, hemp seeds, and apple cider vinegar. Again, I didn't measure. You'll figure it out!

The two worked well together and I liked it maybe for a picnic or to bring with you to an event you're sure will be non-vegan. It feels summery but with the crazy warm weather lately you can pretend it's summer.
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment