Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mushroom Chard Gravy over Millet

I get inspiration for my cooking from anywhere. Restaurants, Pinterest, Instagram, Memories, Color Combinations. I use other blogs too of course!

Angela's blog is inspiring. She made this the other day: Cozy Millet Bowl with Mushroom Gravy.

A while back I was inspired to make something with millet and I bought some but then the inspiration left me and I had a bag of millet with no where to go. I also had mushrooms. Don't you love it when you already have the ingredients for a recipe you want to make?!

I altered a few things so here is my ingredient list:
  • 1 cup uncooked millet
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 package of whole white mushrooms
  • dried sage
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 2 tbsp tamari
  • 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 3 tbsp soy creamer
  • 5 leaves red chard
  • salt and pepper
I toasted the millet in a dry pot over medium heat stirring constantly until the millet made a poping noise. Then I added 2 cups water and a pinch of salt and brought to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork when it's all done.
Millet wasn't too hard to cook and it reminded me of couscous when it's done, only a little heavier.


Saute the onion and garlic, salt and olive oil together over a medium heat until they are soft and all the same color, maybe 5 minutes. Slice the mushrooms and throw those in the pot with the onion. Add sage, nutritional yeast and tamari.


After a bit, pour in the vegetable broth. I didn't have any thickeners like corn starch or potato starch so I added some soy creamer to thicken slightly. My version didn't get too thick.
Chop the chard into large bite size pieces as it will reduce in size as it cooks. Throw it in!
I gave my chard a spin in my salad spinner to dry them after I cleaned them. I love the color in chard!


Simmer it for maybe 10 min, add some pepper, and then keep heat on low until your ready to eat, which for me, was immediately.


I poured the vegetable gravy over the millet and devoured it! It's savory, warm, hearty, but still colorful and pretty.
Do you feel like sometimes "comfort foods" are dull and unappetizing?

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment