Thursday, October 21, 2010

Spaghetti Squash

I'd heard about spaghetti squash from someone at work. She raved about it! Whenever someone talks passionately about food, my ears and tummy seem to perk up and listen. She said it was her absolute favorite thing and when I found out they were in season, it was a quick decision.

First I had to bake the squash. 350 degrees for about an hour. I poked it with a fork a bunch of times, set it on a baking sheet, and let it go. Then, an hour later, I sliced it in half and scooped out the seeds. They look like pumpkin seeds but you have to be a little more delicate than when you carve a pumpkin since the squash part is so stringy.

Then I took a fork and scooped out the squash, it really does come out in tiny little strings that look so much like spaghetti. We had it with a jar of tomato basil pasta sauce. Tell me that doesn't look so much like traditional spaghetti!? So cute! I love re-purposing food to look like other food.

It's a little crunchier than pasta, but really I loved it! It was about as bland/flavorful as plain spaghetti with maybe a nuttier flavor. We talked about whether you could trick someone into thinking it was pasta, and I doubt it but I bet they would like it.

We even had garlic bread since there wasn't so many grains in the "pasta." Chris was excited about garlic bread. Here is a link to my calorie approximations.

Happy Mid-Week Dinners!!

No comments:

Post a Comment