Thursday, March 8, 2012

Spicy Black Bean and Sweet Potato Wrap with Queso Cheeze

My mom is forever telling people I'm a good chef, to which I remind her I'm only a cook, and that she has literally only tasted my cooking twice. She is a good mom though and insists that she knows I'm a good cook even with only two tastes.

We were going to go out to dinner, but we switched plans last minute and she came over for dinner instead!
I love having people to dinner and I love my mom so it's a perfect situation.

I planned my whole Menu:
Chips and Salsa
Chipotle Black Bean and Sweet Potato Wraps with Queso Cheeze
Kale Salad with Avocado, Corn, Tomato, Red Onion, Red Pepper, Poblano Pepper and Lime Juice.
plus a tiny Raw Chocolate Tart with Raspberries

I thought this might be a good vegan dinner for a totally non-vegan. The fiber in the black beans and sweet potato is super filling so even a meat eater will be full! The massaged kale salad can be something green and out of the ordinary. The raw tart had gone well last time, maybe you remember, so I thought she would like it.

Chipotle Black Beans:
You know those cans of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce in the ethic foods isle? Take one of those and mix it with one can of rinsed black beans. I mix mine in a plastic bag. Marinade for an hour or so and then pick out the peppers and rinse the beans. They are quite spicy so rinse until they are less spicy. Perhaps you like spicy things, then don't rinse and let your mouth burn. You're choice.

Sweet Potato:
I like cut mine into a large steak-fry shape and roast with just a little oil so they get soft but still hold their shape. They're easy to put into wraps in that shape.

Cheeze Sauce:
This is my ultimate cheeze sauce that I love more than cheese itself.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Margarine
  • 1/3 cup Flour
  • 1 Tbsp Red Miso
  • 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
  • 1 Tbsp Tahini
  • 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
  • 3 Tbsp Tamari or Soy Sauce
  • 1 1/4 Soy or Almond Milk
  • 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
Whisk together margarine and flour and cook the roux over medium heat. Add the miso, tomato paste, tahini, lemon juice, and tamari. Whisk it together until it forms a redish paste. Slowly whisk in the milk and then stir in the yeast. Let the whole thing come to a simmer to thicken up.
Now, that's the base. For mexi themed dishes like nachos I like to add cumin and chili powder. For broccoli and cheeze I sometimes add parsley or garlic powder. For my mom's visit I added garlic powder to help the spicy beans be a little more mild.

Let's wrap it all up!


Sweet potato first, black beans second, and few tbsp of cheezy sauce on top. Roll it up tight! Place in a shallow dish or baking sheet to toast it up in the oven.

More on my Mum and our Kale Salad next time...
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment