Monday, March 12, 2012

Beets!

Beets are so delicious.
I like the golden ones just fine, but the jewel toned red ones... swoon!


I've come to recognize that beautiful food goes down much easier than unattractive food.

I saw online a little trick to roasting beets, so of course I tried it. A bunch of Organic Beets was $2.50 from Freshfields Farm today.

My bunch had 5 beets in it, plus the greens. I had heard that the greens were good for eating. I ripped off a leaf and stuffed it in my mouth. Not too bad... kind of bitter in a good way.



Roasting Beets:
Wash the outsides and trim off the top and bottom.
Put the beet in it's own little aluminum foil pocket with a drizzle of olive oil.
Wrap them up!
Put them in the oven at about 400 degrees for maybe 45 minutes.
Let them cool.
Using your hands simply peel away the outside.
EASY.
except your fingers will look like this:


It washes off, with some scrubbing. Can you see behind my hands how smooth the outside of the beets are? Using the "peel after roasting" technique my beets almost looked like eggs they were so smooth! 

I ended up letting my beets cool while I left the house so when I came home I was thinking something quick for eating. 
I took some jasmine rice I had made earlier using jasmine tea instead of water. Plus some ripped up beet greens and a few spinach leaves, sprinkled some water on top and stuck it in the microwave for 1 minutes to wilt up the greens and warm the rice. 
Add slices of beet on top. Quick and easy dinner! 


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment