Friday, March 23, 2012

Tempeh and Grilled Zucchini Tacos

Tacos are the best.

At my house, a taco is anything delicious stuffed into a tortilla. The only rule is a tortilla. The debate occurs over the kind of tortilla...
Corn or Flour?

Me, I'm a corn tortillas all the way kinda gal. Chris, He's a die hard flour tortillas only boy. We're working on our marital differences.

Normally, because I'm a loving wife who often (always) forces her husband to eat vegan, we get flour tortillas as a compromise over the whole animal product situation. This week... I splurged. CORN baby!


Tempeh is my newest thing. Seitan is delicious and I'm obviously a giant tofu lover but tempeh is great. It's more dense than other meat alternatives. It comes in rice, soy, flax, barley and millet, the options! It holds up well in cooking, it doesn't break apart like the others can.



Ingredients:
  • Tortillas (corn preferably of course)
  • 1/2 packageTempeh
  • 2 Tbsp Salsa (any brand)
  • 1 tsp Agave Nectar 
  • 1 Zucchini
  • 2 Radishs
  • 4 cherry Tomatos
  • Salt, Pepper
I sauteed the tempeh tonight with salsa, I also added some water as the salsa simmered away. Let it cook for approx 15 minutes so the salsa absorbs into the tempeh. I added some agave because mine tasted kind of bitter at the end.


Slice the zucchini in equally thick slices and grill. I used the george forman, but a grill pan with a press would be great. Be sure you don't have one thick one and one skinny one. Grill until soft but not mushy.


Diced up that radish. You're thinking to yourself, I'll skip the radish on mine. You'd be making a mistake I promise. It's crunchy and peppery and it totally blends into the taco.

Slice up the tomatos, or dice if you have a regular sized tomato.

Tacos have a lot of prep work huh?
I think it's worth it though.


Pile it all into your tortilla and use your tortilla to shovel it all into your mouth. Yum.


What crazy things do you like in your tacos?
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment