Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

My favorite thing about this dish is how colorful it is to look at.



Second favorite thing is that it used up random bits of produce left in my fridge after previous recipes.
I hate wasting food. 


I had some leftover corn and poblano peppers. Plus I had this cool Textured Vegetable Protein based "Hamburger" crumbles.  Stuffed peppers are delicious and perfect for using up random bits of leftover veggies! 

Stuffed Peppers Recipe


My Ingredients:

  • 2 Poblano Peppers
  • 1 Red Pepper
  • 1/2 of the "Hamburger" Mix
  • 1/4 cup Quinoa, I used red and white
  • Fresh Corn, cut off the cob
  • Cherry Tomatoes, rough dice
  • Kale, cut into stips
  • Red Onion, diced
  • Garlic, Cumin, Chili Powder, Dried Red Pepper
  • 2 tbsp Vegetable Stock (or water)


My hamburger mix takes 15 minutes to hydrate so I set it in the fridge to hydrate first. If you're using frozen soy crumbles you don't need to do that.

I bought mine at a local vegan market so I'm not sure if grocery stores carry this product.

Cook your quinoa, you could use rice or lentils or any grain you prefer. I like the color of red and white quinoa together.
Cut your peppers in half lengthwise and remove any seeds and stems.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.


Saute the onion and garlic over medium high heat with some olive oil.
Add the corn, tomatoes, and kale. Add the quinoa.
A few minutes later add the faux hamburger (TVP or Soy) and mix it all up very well in the pan. If you're using frozen soy make sure to cook until warmed.
Add your seasonings. YUM! Keep tasting until it tastes good!
Spoon the filling into the half peppers, giving us 6 stuffed peppers.
Bake for 35-ish minutes.


About half way through the baking I sprinkled some vegetable stock on my peppers to keep the tops from getting too crunchy. You could do that, cover with foil, or cover with cheeze to keep the tops soft.


We ate two halves a person for dinner. It was really good! The peppers get tender and the filling was mild and flavorful, plus the textures are all different. It makes it a fun dish to eat.
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment