Monday, March 5, 2012

Chocolate Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup

This week has been hard. Being a “vegan” sometimes makes me feel ostracized. I’m the strange one. It’s important that I remind myself that I haven’t had some medical symptoms at all since my switch and I used to experience them 1-2 a month. It’s important I think about a world outside of my community, a world where rainforests are being destroyed and animals are separated from families they otherwise would live with in the wild.


It isn’t that I want to be preachy, it’s that I remind myself. It’s so easy to forget, isn’t it? It’s easy to forget about family and friends that live outside of town, come on, of course it’s easy to forget about injustices happening worlds away.


This blog helps me remember that I’m doing this for a reason beyond myself and I want to connect with the world.


What are you doing in your life that’s for a world beyond yourself? How is it going? Do you ever feel discouraged? Maybe we could chat :) Now back on to the recipe goodness!


I made Chris and I Sunday brunch this week because it was raining when we woke up but then magically before we even sat down to eat; it was sunny. I love mornings like that!


Menu:

Coffee

Chocolate Pancakes, served with Peanut Butter Syrup


I saw something online about chocolate pancakes and peanut butter syrup that stopped me in my tracks! I thought, How genius is that person!? I set out to make my own.


I loved Chocolate Covered Katie’s Strawberry Shortcake pancakes so much I thought I’d use her recipe as a base. Some people like flat thin and wide pancakes while other people thick smaller denser pancakes. I’m the latter. If you’re the first then you probably won’t like these.


Chocolate Covered Pancake Ingredients:

2/3 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour*

1/4 cup Rolled Oats*

1/4 tsp Salt

1 tsp ground Vanilla*

2 Tbsp Sugar*

2 Tbsp Coconut Oil*

1/2 cup Cocoa Powder

4/6 tsp Baking Powder

2/3 cup Non-Dairy Milk (Soy, Almond, Coconut)



Mix the ingredients together, but not too much. It’ll be big and fluffy.



Then scoop about 1/4 cup into a heated pam sprayed non-stick skillet and cook lightly on both sides. It's a little difficult to know when it's done since it won't "brown" since chocolate is already brown. I paid attention to the texture.


Peanut Butter Syrup Ingredients:

1/4 cup Creamy Salted Peanut Butter*

1/4 cup Raw Agave Nectar*

Splash of Coconut Milk



Use the measurements as a base, don't stick to them too tightly on the syrup. Just whisk it all together and microwave it in 30 second intervals until it looks thick and syrupy.



Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment