Friday, November 12, 2010

Black Bean Enchiladas

Enchiladas are super fun. Sometimes burritos, tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, and tostadas can all run together. What's the difference?
Enchiladas are tortillas wrapped around a filling and baked with a chili pepper sauce on top, and normally cheese on top. The fillings are normally more dense, less lettuce and tomato.

I looked at buying the enchilada sauce from a can and I was disappointed with what I found. So, I made my own! I was talking to a chef at work who said, "The key to sauce is a great roux." Mine wasn't great, but it was a roux nonetheless. I melted butter with flour and cooked it for a while. Then I added chili powder, roasted red pepper, water, salt, pepper, and probably some spices I can't remember. I whisked it all together and bam, sauce!

I bought "raw" beans again for this recipe and I messed them up. I soaked them overnight but the cooking process took hours longer than I anticipated. I sent Chris to publix for canned beans mid-way through cooking dinner. I am sad to admit this but, I will say in my defense that by the time we went to bed the beans were cooked deliciously and I'll use them next week.

I used green peppers and poblano peppers cut into a sort of julienne. plus yellow onion to accompany the beans inside the enchiladas.

In the end, they were quite delicious!
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment