Monday, August 23, 2010

Favorite Chef

Who is your favorite chef?

Mine is probably Ina Garten. Her show is Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network. She lives in the Hamptons with her husband Jeffery. She is my favorite for a couple of reasons; she uses simple recipes and fresh ingredients but she also reminds me so much of my mother. You can see, they even look alike!
There is so much about food that is more than the nutritional value of the meal. I talk about the carbohydrates and proteins and sugars but there is another thing to consider, the satisfaction. Food needs to be satisfying. It has to fill other things besides your stomach. It has to fill your heart, your needs, your cravings. Ina is always cooking for her husband and she always seems to have that mystery ingredient. I think her food reminds me of my mother's food. Anything reminiscent of food you had as a child seems so fulfill your heart and not just your stomach.

To say that love is the mystery ingredient may be a little corny... but I'm not sure what else to call it. You can tell when someone enjoys cooking not for the technical skill but for the joy it brings to those who are eating the meal. Somehow it shows in the cooking.

Happy Heart Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment