Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Raw Zucchini Spaghetti with Raw Tomato Sauce

On April 4th I bought this groupon. April 4th may go down in history as best groupon day ever!


Then, the other day look what appeared at my doorstep!


A vegetable spiral slicer. Amazing. I've been wanting one of these babies for a while. You can cut vegetables into spirals. For example, you can cut potatoes into curly fries or zucchini into spaghetti or cucumber into ribbons. It is a little niche-y for a kitchen appliance but raw zucchini noodles are a favorite of mine when we go out to eat, so for me, it worked as an appliance purchase.

Magically, this then appeared in my bowl!



ok... not magically but very very easily :)
Recipe after the jump...


Ingredients:
1 Large Zucchini
2 Small Slivers of Red Onion
1 Garlic Clove (minced)
10 - 12 Cherry Tomatoes
2 Mushrooms
1 tsp Agave Nectar
1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Various Spices. I used rosemary, basil, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
Vegan Parmesean Cheeze



Directions:

1. Spiral Slice your zucchini and set aside. BAM! Done. Gluten-Free, Low Carb, Raw, Vegetable Noodles.



2. For the sauce I processed the onion and garlic in my mini-food processor first. Get them pretty small. I use organic garlic from a jar so mine is already minced but if you're using whole cloves you might want to smash them first. Raw garlic and onion are very strong and you don't want to bite right into some raw garlic.



3. Add some cherry tomatoes into the processor. I ended up processing extra tomatoes because I wanted more in my sauce so I recommend more than I show in this photo.



4. I threw two mushrooms in there. I had to give them a rough chop to get them to process but I did want them in larger pieces than the onion.



5. Sprinkle in herbs, salt, pepper, agave and taste it! Add more herbs to your liking.
6. Pour it over your zucchini pasta and sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheeze. Now, this cheeze isn't raw but it is totally gluten free. It tastes JUST LIKE parmesan from a can. No, it doesn't taste like fresh parmesan. Sorry. I like it on pasta and I would still call this a raw dish even with the cheeze sprinkle. It's up to you if you are a raw purist.




7. Eat the entire bowl because this is single serving baby!



This is a pretty classic raw dish. Most people like italian spices and american style spaghetti. Raw Zucchini noodles are a little crunchier than traditional pasta but I don't notice it at all anymore.

The other drawback, as with all raw food, it's not hot. If you wanna heat your sauce for a few seconds it might make for an easier transition into raw food. I didn't heat mine but Chris still gets freaked out by cold pasta. He did take a few bites of this one and liked it!


The zucchini makes a whole bowl of noodles that you can enjoy totally guilt free. If you're looking for a comfort food alternative, this might be something to try. 
I'll be using my spiral slicer all week so I'll report back all the things I attempt! 

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment