We all love hamburger helper.
Don't lie. You secretly love it.
I secretly love it. It reminds me of being young before I knew that food that comes mostly from a box is probably not the healthiest choice.
Forget the box! Make it yourself. It's easier than I thought it would be.
I used this amazing recipe.
Ingredients that I used:
1.4lb Very Lean (7%) Ground Beef
2 cups 2% Organic Milk
1 cup Organic Chicken Stock
2 cups Whole Wheat Elbow Pasta
1.5 cups Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
Various Spice Cabinet Goodies
Including, Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, Paprika, Salt, Pepper, Cumin, and a bit of Agave Nectar.
It's basically just like the process on the box.
1. Brown your ground beef.
2. Add a bunch of spices that I didn't measure in any way. I splashed in some stuff that looked right to me.
3. Add 1 cup hot chicken stock or water
4. Add 2 cups milk. I used 2% to make the sauce a little thicker than with my traditional skim milk. I really wanted to avoid using corn starch in the recipe.
5. Add the noodles.
6. Simmer with the lid on about 12-13 minutes stirring occasionally.
7. Add the cheese and stir it all together
8. Marvel at your homemade corn free hamburger helper that tastes even better than the real thing!