Monday, June 7, 2010

Mackerel!

Chris and the boys went deep sea fishing on Thursday and although I was worried about everything in the water being covered in oil, they made it before the fishes are killed.

Chris actually caught some fish too! Mackerel. I uploaded a picture of Chris on the boat but my Dad has yet to send me one of him holding his catch. There isn't much online about how to cook fresh Mackerel, just canned (which grossed me out). The boat captain filleted the fish for us, for which I am ever so grateful!
The fillets just look like white fish so I figured, we will just make up some recipes.

First we baked the fish in 400 degrees with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, parsley, and lemon slices. We broiled the fish for about 5 minutes at the end. It was actually really good! Nutrition information online leads me to believe Mackerel isn't a low calorie fish so I didn't want to add to many heavy toppings. We ate it with quinoa and steamed broccoli.
We have about 4lbs of fish so we tried another recipe too!
We grilled the fillet on our George Foreman grill and served it over a salad. I made a little tex-mex salad so it would be similar to fish tacos. I added red and green peppers, some corn, some carrot, a few olives, and we used salsa as our dressing. It was seriously good!

I was really excited about skipping the seafood section at Publix and being able to eat such fresh food!

No comments:

Post a Comment