Thursday, April 21, 2011

High Fructose Corn Syrup

I told you in this blog that I was embarking on a journey into a medical study.
I was very excited and considerably anxious about it.

Well, the journey has ended. Let me tell you why...

The journey looked like this:
First, you answer questions over the phone to see if you're a candidate for the study.
Second, you sign up.
Third, You fast for 12hours and have blood taken.
Fourth, You write down everything you eat for three days and answer a bunch of questions about how much physical activity you do.

The goal of the study is for the corn syrup to make up a percentage of your caloric intake. Clearly, they would need to figure out your caloric intake first. That's step four.

Firth, the lady calculates your percentage and tells you how many 8oz cartons of corn-syrup laden milk you drink per day.

I was under the impression that this number was based mostly on which group you were in; 10%, 20% or 30% of daily calories from the syrup-milk and then slightly from your bodies caloric needs.
The lady told me I would need to drink 6 1/2 eight ounce cartons a day! Do you drink 52oz of anything, besides water, every day? I don't. and I don't think I could.
I was honest and I told her I wouldn't be able to consume that much of anything, much less sweetened milk, and although I could try it if she wanted me too, it would probably be a waste of time and money on their part since I would most likely quit.

So, I quit before I even tasted a drop of corn syrup and I don't feel sad about it at all. I'll find another way to make $300.

No comments:

Post a Comment