Monday, June 18, 2012

Sushi Salad

I love sushi, I mean, who doesn't?
Even if you don't eat meat (like me!) sushi is delicious. Cucumber, avocado, rice, seaweed, wasabi... All good things!

This salad doesn't have any rice, but you could totally add some rice if you wanted too! I didn't want to wait for rice to cook, it takes forever right?



Ingredients:
1/2 cup Cucumber
1/4 Orange Pepper
1 Radish
5-8 Cherry Tomatoes
1/2 cob of Corn
1-2 Carrots
2  Mushrooms
3/4 head Romaine
2 cups Spring Mix/Green Mix Lettuce Combo
1/3 cup Garbanzo Beans
1/2 Avocado

(I know what you're thinking... those ingredients don't really sound sushi-ish. Stick with me!)


1/2 - 1 tsp Wasabi Powder
1 tbsp Low Sodium Tamari
Seaweed of Choice, I used Dulse
1/2 tsp Red Miso
Ginger
Sriracha
Garlic Powder
Salt - small amount
Sesame Seeds
1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil

(Sounding sushi-ish now huh!?)

Directions:
Salads are strange to give directions.

First I'd recommend setting up your garbanzo beans. Pour your tamari and wasabi powder in a bowl and stir to dissolve the wasabi. Add the beans and stir to coat. Pour the beans and liquid onto some foil on a baking sheet and roast at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. They should be dry and kind of crispy when done. If you like them more wet though, you could take them out early. Note: this isn't VERY spicy at all so if you're craving some wasabi I'd bump up the amount of powder.



Then chop or slice up your veggies according to your preference. I like a small dice so I can shovel it into my face faster. I also like to chop my romaine. You can tear romaine. You can do what you like!



Salad Dressing time. I made a asian guacamole type dressing. Smash Avocado in a small bowl with ginger, garlic, sriracha, salt, sesame seeds, sesame oil, dulse-finely chopped, and miso. Feel free to add some water until it's a consistency that you like. Taste, and add more spice to taste.



Then, put it all together in a big bowl. OH YEAH.
I do think some rice or edamame would be great in this salad. Maybe add some red cabbage. Maybe daikon instead of normal radish. I wouldn't go out a buy a whole daikon for one salad though, so use what you have. If you do eat meat, I think some sushi grade fish would be good on top of the salad too. If you're not digging the avocado dressing... which I was totally digging! A traditional japanese ginger dressing would be tasty.

I hope you make the salad, I hope you modify it to make it according to your taste. I gave mine a big toss before eating.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment