Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mexican Pizzas

I'm always looking for new ways to put food we already like together. When I stumbled upon a recipe for a mexican pizza I had flashbacks to the Taco Bell drive through and I knew what I had to attempt!

First I sauteed some yellow onion in extra virgin olive oil and added a little cumin. Then I added a can of rinsed black beans. Then some minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Then some diced cubanelle pepper.

Then I transfered the mix into my food processor and processed away. Mine isn't too strong so it was still pretty thick. Very similar in consistency to refried beans, perfect for mexican pizzas! The onion and pepper really gave the bean mixture some depth.
Then I spread the beans on top of a taco sized tortilla and baked until warm. Then top with some shredded (freshly shredded! buying block cheese is much cheaper and has less additives) cheese, whichever flavor you like.

Broil to brown the edges of the tortillas and melt the cheese.
Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, and sour cream. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product because I was in such a hurry to eat them! So imagine the lettuce and tomato on top.

They were seriously delicious. I also made a version with some chicken strips for some friends of mine, if you're weary of vegetarian dinners.

It was nice to have something a little out of the ordinary.
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment