Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pineapple Corn Muffins

I bought a new cookbook!
I love cookbooks.
What are your favorite cookbooks? I love recommendations.

My newest one is called Blissful Bites by the blissful chef.
It's really nice. It's organized by season which is helpful if you're trying to eat local and fresh foods. It's mostly gluten-free from what I can tell. It's all vegan. Some of it's raw. In the end... I like it!

I made some chili today and I always like cornbread with chili. I used to use that jiffy box of cornbread mix and a can of creamed corn. It makes a mushy cornbread loaf that I used to enjoy. I was looking for a replacement though.

There was a recipe for Pineapple Cornmeal Muffins.
Chili can be spicy, Pineapple is sweet. What a perfect combination I thought! I hate it when I get excited about dinner but it's still hours away! lol.




I'm not going to post the entire recipe, sorry, you can totally buy the cookbook though!
Mixing wet and dry ingredients together to form the batter.


Pour into muffin tray! The recipe makes 12 muffins, next time I'll cut it in half because there is no way 2 of us are going to eat 12 muffins. Oh well.


Here is my chili that I made! I added a half a can of pumpkin this time and I really enjoyed the slight change of flavor. The pumpkin helped make it thick, plus a little orange.
In my chili pot I also use a can of diced tomatoes, a can of black beans, a can of kidney beans, yellow onion, 1 jalapeno, plus chili powder, tiny bit of cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper.


The muffins turned out very soft but brown around the edges. The pineapple is very moist so the muffins are crumbly. I like softer muffins over dryer muffins but I might decrease the amount of pineapple next time anyway because I like to dip my cornbread in my chili and let it soak up all the goodness.
What kind of bread/grain do you eat with chili? Fritos? Rice?


I was really happy with our dinner! Chili is such a nutrient dense food and my husband was crazy about the cornmeal muffins. The sweet of the muffin did balance out the spicy of the chili really well. I also had some mashed up avocado to help put out the heat. Feel free to go a little spicier on your chili with all the cooling foods we're serving it with.


Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment